Kickstart business idea competition Grand Final was held for the third time together with the students of the Oulu University of Applied Sciences, University of Oulu and Oulu Vocational College. It provides students a chance to develop their business ideas, receive valuable feedback and get excited about entrepreneurship. This year Oulun Kauppaklubi ry was partner of the event.
The first phase of the Kickstart competition was an internal final held within each participating faculty. From there, the best ideas from each faculty moved on the second phase of Kickstart, which was the Kickstart final. The final took place on January 16, 2019 at Restaurant Hilikku. There the nine teams from the faculties competed against each other by pitching their business ideas to the panel of judges consisting of local business experts. The judges were Jukka Alakontiola from Oulun Kauppaklubi, Mikko Veijola from Taitonetti and Margit Heiniemi from Greenstep.
Oulun Kauppaklubi donated the main prize of 1500 euros. The second and third place in the competition received gift cards. Also the best pitch and audience favorite was awarded.
There was a wide array of ideas in the final, ranging from a mobile application for the hospital environment, as well as an an application to help songwriters by matching the songwriters with the right mentors. A young entrepreneur Valtteri Kujala from Valfi.fi gave a keynote in the final and shared his experiences of entrepreneurship with the audience.
1. Prize: Pure Flush (Oamk)
The toilet seat recycles hand washing water. Team: Arttu Holappa, Joona Pajula ja Veeti Härkönen
2. Prize: Arjen Pelitys (Oamk)
A Mobile application for occupational therapists. Team: Miia Korhonen, Hanna Mård, Hanna Jäälinoja ja Jutta Karjalainen
3. Prize: Vision Care (University of Oulu)
Smart eye massage mask to preserve people vision and improve their eye. We use the most modern advance technology Machine Learning combine with Classical Asian Medicine. Tiimi: Kien Ngo
Best pitch: MyStyle (Osao)
An application to choose your daily outfits, get inspiration, buy, sell and swap clothes.
Tiimi: Jasmin Byman, Matilda Kaisto, Aada Ruusu ja Pauliina Ojakangas
Audience Favorite: Uudelleen avattava tölkki (Osao)
Tiimi: Minttu Myllynen, Sofia Pekkala ja Adele Myllyneva
Other business ideas presented in the event:
• Instumenttihakusovellus: Mobile application for hospital environment. Tiimi: Sanna Knuutila-Honkala
• Songplete: An application to help songwriters all around the world and at all stages of their career to fight creative block in songwriting by matching the songwriters with the right mentors. Tiimi: Primož Mirtič Dolenec, Nina Jackson and Jiao Harmsen
• Kodin ylläpitopalvelu: Holiday service package
• GlucoEmeter: Non-invasive glucose measurement deceive, based on the bioimpedance measured by the device. Tiimi: Youssef Rafat, Ahmed Mohammed Basiouny
The competition was successful with a positive attitude and great cooperation between the faculties. We wish all of the new business ideas the best of luck!
More information: www.kickstartoulu.fi